Monday, May 15, 2017

Featured Scientist: Meet Sydney!

Meet Sydney, who has been an undergraduate student intern at the SEFSC FORCES Lab since Fall 2016! Read about her goals for her first research cruise in her own words...

Sydney models our safety gear
My name is Sydney Harned and I'm a junior at the University of Miami. My goal for this cruise is to learn as much as I can! 

This is my first research cruise, so I'm here to gain some real world experience in the marine biology field. It's been really neat to see scientists specializing in different research areas coming together to work on a project together. 
Sydney is a pro at running the Bongo net!
Since I'm still an undergrad I don't have a specific research focus yet, but I'm hoping to pursue marine genetics in graduate school. For my senior thesis, I'll be using genetics to determine presence/absence of Bluefin Tuna eggs at different stations in the Gulf of Mexico from a previous cruise!


1 comment: